At Office Workouts with Cary Gordon
Fitness Coach Cary Gordan teaches some really simple exercises that can be done without expensive gym equipment! These exercises can be done both at home or in the office.
Strength training is important because it helps to build lean muscle tissues. Muscle mass naturally decreases with age. If we don't do anything to replace the lean muscle that we've lost, we'll be increasing the percentage of fat in our body.
Strength training also helps you:
- Develop strong bones. By stressing your bones, strength training increases bone density and reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
- Control your weight. As you gain muscle, your body begins to burn calories more efficiently. The more toned your muscles, the easier it is to control your weight.
- Boost your stamina. As you get stronger, you won't fatigue as easily. Building muscle also contributes to better balance, which can help you maintain independence as you age.
- Manage chronic conditions. Strength training can reduce the signs and symptoms of many chronic conditions, including back pain, arthritis, obesity, heart disease and diabetes.
- Sharpen your focus. Some research suggests that regular strength training helps improve attention for older adults.